FAQs For Hiring A Truck

What you need to know when hiring a truck with SCTR.
Book now!
Get My QuoteCall 02 4633 6100

For individual vehicle information, please refer to our range of trucks for hire and the individual vehicle pages.

Booking a truck

Rental rates

Payments and deposit

Booking changes and cancellation fees

Roadside assistance and insurance

Licence classes and log books

Drivers and one way services

Additional equipment and extras

Truck specifications

Driving the truck

Picking up and returning the truck

Booking a truck

Can I book online?

No, unfortunately you can't book a truck online. If you wish to book a vehicle with us, please fill in the quote form. One of our friendly team members will then give you a phone call to confirm your needs and book the reservation if you wish to go ahead.

Can I book multiple vehicles at once?

Yes, if you need multiple vehicles you can either fill in the quote form or directly call us on (02) 4633 6100 to proceed with your booking.

When will my booking be confirmed?

Once we've completed your booking with you over the phone, our team will send a confirmation email upon paying the applicable booking fee. If an email address is not available, then the reservation will be advised over the phone.

Can I choose the model of truck I want?

Yes, subject to the availability our rentals team will allocate the vehicle accordingly. When making your reservation, just let us know what you usually drive and we'll aim to provide an exact or similar replacement vehicle. Take a look at our range of trucks.

What do I need to bring to rent a truck?

In order for you to rent a truck with Southern Cross Truck Rentals, you will need to:

  1. Meet the renting location's minimum age requirements which is 21.
  2. Bring a valid driver's licence of the correct class (C-class, Light Rigid, Medium Rigid, Heavy Rigid)
  3. Bring a credit card in your name. Note that Southern Cross Truck Rentals require a rental bond in addition to the cost of rental amount.
  4. Bring mean of payment: we accept cash, Visa and Mastercard.

Can I rent a vehicle with a foreign licence?

Yes, if you are not Australian you can still rent most of our vehicles with any foreign licence, you don't need an International Driver's Licence. As long as your foreign licence provides and specifies the class equivalent to Australian licence class, you will be able to rent a vehicle with us. There is one exception: to hire our larger vehicles such as prime movers you do need an Australian licence of the correct class (Light Rigid, Medium Rigid, Heavy Rigid).

Rental rates and period

Why do rental rates fluctuate?

The cost of fuel and labor, time and distance travelled all have an impact on rental prices. Rental rates vary between competitors and may also vary depending on the time of day and the type of rental you choose - whether that's one-way, daily or long-term. Contact us for more information on our rental rates.

Can I request rates without making a reservation?

Yes, definitely. You can call us to request rates or alternatively you can send us a quote request via the website. When you make an enquiry on our website, one of our friendly team members will give you a phone call to confirm your requirements. If you have any questions we're more than happy to answer them, no obligation.

What is the difference between daily, weekly and weekend rental rates?

We offer daily rates, which last for a period of 24 hours, weekday rentals, from Monday to Friday, 7-day weekly rates and weekend rates, which include Fridays to Sundays.

What is the minimum rental period?

The minimum rental period for all of our vehicles is 24 hours so you can rent a truck for only one day if you wish. Contact us for our best one-day rental deals. Our 3 tonne pantechs have daily deals between Monday and Thursday from 08:00am to 16:30pm. See our specials and deals of the week.

Is the rental period extendable?

In most cases, yes. Extensions are subject to availability but if you wish to extend your rental, just give us a call on (02) 4633 6100. We'll usually confirm the details and new return date and time on the spot.

What are the rental terms and conditions?

A full copy of the terms and conditions is provided in the contract that is signed when collecting your vehicle. All vehicles have a Toll tag in the vehicle and the tolls are managed through the RMS (Roads and Maritime Service.)

Payment and deposit

How do I pay for the reservation?

You can pay cash, or with credit card (Visa, Mastercard)

How do I pay if I do not have a credit card in my name?

If you don't have a credit card in your name, you can pay cash or using another type of payment. You will however need a credit card to secure the vehicle. This can be supplied by a family member or friend, with their consent via a credit card authorisation form that is required to be completed prior to your vehicle collection.

Do you have a loyalty discount system?

We don't offer loyalty cards but if you're booking long term hire, or multiple vehicles at once, we'll always give you the most competitive rate to reward your loyalty.

Is a deposit or bond required when collecting the vehicle?

Yes, a deposit is required for all vehicles when you collect the vehicle. The bond ranges between $300 - $1500 depending on type of vehicle.

Booking changes and cancellation feeds

How can I change or cancel a booking?

Cancellation fee will apply. However, in order to make any changes to your booking, all you need to do is give us a call on (02) 4633 6100. Provided it's not within the no-cancellation period, we'll do our best to amend the booking to suit your needs.

Is there a cancellation fee?

Yes, there is a cancellation fee if you cancel within 24 hours of the booking start time. Minimum cancellation fee is $50.

What happens if I return the vehicle late?

A late fee of $45 will apply for vehicles returned later than the contracted rental agreement. If you are running late, please call us on (02) 4633 6100 to let us know.

Are there additional charges for a rental?

There are a range of extras that can be purchased with your rental. Additional charges include kilometre excess, cleaning fees, late and /or early drop off, collision damage waiver (optional). For example, a kilometre penalties apply if you exceed the contractual agreement. And if the vehicle is not returned with a full tank of fuel, a refuelling fee will apply, and the fuel charged at $2.50 per litre.

Roadside assistance and insurance

Do I need special insurance for a truck rental?

Collision damage waiver is offered for vehicles under a 8 tonne capacity. This reduces the excess from $10,000 to $1650* (conditions apply).

Is damage cover included in the quote?

No, damage cover isn't included in the quote. All vehicles are subject to collision damage waiver (conditions apply).

Does roadside assistance cover me if I lock the keys in the vehicle?


What happens if the rental vehicle breaks down?

Call us on (02) 4633 6100 any time of the day or night. Our 24-hour roadside assistance service will have your rental vehicle repaired or replaced to get you back on the road in the shortest time possible.

What happens if I have an accident in the rental vehicle?

If an accident happens, it is required to exchange details at the scene. Please call us within 24 hours of the incident to notify our office to complete an incident form and send it through to maintenance@sctr.com.au with relevant photos for us to determine the extent of the damage. A member of staff will then update you on the next steps required in this process.

Licence classes and log books

What licence class do I need to drive a truck?

Gross Vehicle Mass (GVM) is the total weight of a vehicle when it is loaded. It is a main determinant in cargo vehicle licences. Car licence: this licence allows the holder to drive a vehicle up to 4.5 tonnes GVM. Standard 1-tonne and 1.5 tonne vans as well as some of our smaller 2-tonne trucks only require a standard car licence. Light rigid licence: this licence allows the holder to drive any rigid truck or bus whose GVM exceeds 4.5 tonnes but is not more than 8 tonnes. Our medium sized trucks, between 2 - 8 tonne, generally require a Light Rigid or Medium Rigid licence. Medium Rigid licence: this licence allows the holder to drive any boogie axle rigid truck or bus whose GVM is greater than 8 tonnes. Heavy Combination licence: This licence allows the holder to drive any prime mover or rigid vehicle whose GVM is greater than 8 tonnes. Our large prime movers and semi trailers require a Heavy Combination licence. Look at our fleet guide for licence requirements of individual trucks.

What size truck needs a log book?

A log book must be kept for drivers who drive a truck over 10,500 kgs. As an example, semi-trailers whose GVM is over 12 tonnes would require the driver to keep a log book.

Where to get a truck log book?

You can get a driver's log book from the Roads & Maritime Services (RMS).

Drivers and one-way services

Can I book a truck if I can't drive it?

We understand that you might need a large truck even if you don't have the licence to drive it. That's why we have a driver hire service available. Just let us know you need a driver when booking and we'll arrange it for you.

Can another person drive the vehicle I have booked?

Yes, additional drivers can be added to the rental agreement if their licences are provided at the time of booking.

Can I book a driver for my truck or bus hire?

Yes. Just let us know your requirements when you're booking and we'll arrange a fully qualified driver to do the heavy work for you. Whether you want a truck driver or need a designated bus driver for a wedding charter or wine tour, we'll organize this for you. To make sure you get the best value for money and what's most convenient, you can pay the driver by the hour, or by project. Take a look at our driver hire page for more details.

Can I book a one-way truck rental to another city?

Yes. Unlike many other truck rental companies, we offer competitively priced, one-way and interstate rentals. If you need a truck one way only, we'll arrange pickup and drop-off at each end. T&Cs apply, read more on our one-way rental services.

What if I need a truck rental urgently after hours?

We do not offer this service outside of normal business hours. However we are on standby to assist with a truck breakdown or repair for our rented vehicles 24/7.

Additional equipment and extras

Can I book additional equipment or extras?

Of course! If you're moving house or even interstate, we have rope, blankets, trolleys and other moving equipment to make the jobs easier for you. If you're hiring a mini bus we have luggage trailers that connect to the back, so all of your equipment is safely packed. If you have any special requirements just ask us.

Can I rent a baby seat?

No. As Southern Cross Truck Rentals specialise in truck and work vehicle rentals, we don't stock baby seats.

Can I rent a GPS with the vehicle?

No. We do not have any GPS devices for rental, however some are already fitted in some vehicles.

Truck specifications

What fuel does the truck need?

Most of our trucks take diesel fuel amd amsi as AdBlue additive for diesel. In addition, some of our vans and minibuses take petrol. You can see what fuel each vehicle needs on the individual vehicle pages in our range of trucks page.

Are the trucks manual or automatic?

We have a range of both manual and automatic trucks, mini buses and vans. Check our fleet of trucks for individual truck details.

How to calculate carrying capacity of truck?

Please refer to each vehicle page to find out about the payload capacity of each our truck. For example 1 ton truck can carry close to 1 tonne but this also depends on the vehicle make and type.

Driving the truck

Are there any restrictions on where I can drive the rental truck?

The vehicles are covered for driving throughout the Australian mainland, however vehicle's taken off road, over water or above the snow line do so at the renter's risk.

Do I have to stop at a weight station in the rental truck?

All vehicles over 12 tonne GVM must stop at the RMS Heavy Vehicle Stations.

Are there any special road rules for driving a truck?

The licence holder is responsible to adhere to road rules as per state legislation. There are a few things to remember when driving your truck rental.

  1. All trucks over 12-tonne GVM need to stop at the RMS Heavy Vehicle Stations when passing them.
  2. Drivers of Heavy Rigid (HR) licence class driving trucks over 10,500 kgs must carry and fill in logbooks when driving the rental truck.
  3. As with any truck or ute, all loads must be secure.

Can I drive the vehicle outside NSW?

Yes. Our trucks and buses can be driven interstate, however you'll need to let us know when making your booking. All of our vehicles come with 200-kilometres driving included. Visit this page for one-way interstate rentals and read T&Cs which apply.

Picking up and returning the truck

Can I collect or return the vehicle at any time of day or night?

No. You need to collect and/or return your rental vehicles within working hours. We're open Monday - Friday from 8am - 5pm and 8am - 12 midday on weekends.

Do I need to check the vehicle when returning the keys?

Yes, any vehicle faults must be reported to Southern Cross Truck Rentals staff when returning the keys.

Can I return the vehicle to a different location?

Unlike many other rental companies, we offer one-way truck hire and interstate truck hire at very competitive rates. So if you're moving interstate, or taking a delivery of goods, but one way only, we'll organise for you to pick-up the vehicle in one place and collect it from you at the other end.

Contact us for more information

Click here to see our Specials

Rent A Truck Today